Skip to main content

For Such a Time as This

“Mama, watch meeee!”  Muddy water splashes every where as little bodies slide down the glistening piece of bright orange plastic that drapes over the grassy hill in my back yard.  Squeals of delight drift across the yard and a warm breeze seems to blow them right up into the sky maybe through the clouds and into the heavens.  My heart is smiling.  The girls and I are all off for the summer, and we are having Fun!  

FIve summers ago I called it the “Summer of Makiah.”  I felt in my heart that our family would be expanding soon even though we had battled secondary infertility since Makiah was a baby… so I determined that this summer would be all about her.  It was 2010, and it was just me and my little buddy all day every day.  We played barbies and mermaids and swam and visited grandparents and played with friends.  The news that I was pregnant came in June and a few weeks later we had the ultrasound with the fantastic surprise that it was twins.  It was the summer of Makiah and the summer of fun!

Then for two summers it was just the twins and I.  Those summers were frigid and dark for me.  We were lonely and the walls of our home often seemed like a tomb.  Empty.  Isolated.  Stained wet with tears.  Except that those little babies didn’t know it.  I would cry and they would coo and laugh.  The second summer Hope seemed to grow slowly, quietly as my belly swelled with our miracle baby, Maddie Grace.  The ice in my heart began to thaw.  

Then in the summer of 2013, we moved!  The hot days were filled up with packing and house hunting and goodbye hugs and meeting new faces.  Last week my mom read to me the note in her prayer journal for July 8th, 2013.  It was the day we drove to our new home, and I had forgotten.  We passed through a storm, but just as we approached our new home, a beautiful rainbow appeared in the sky.  With every turn we made it felt as if we were following the brilliant streak of colors that actually seemed to end on the very street where we were renting!  And my heart felt full of the promise of new beginnings.

Then I spent last summer hobbling around nine months pregnant and hot!  On July 21st, my fifth daughter, my precious Eliana Bree,  was born!  Her first name is Hebrew for “my God has answered” and Bree means “strength.”  Every time we breath her name we are saying out loud “my God has answered with strength!”  We intended it to be a declaration of truth when we named her, but perhaps it was even more prophetic than we knew.  

This year is full of landmarks you see.   In March we passed the day when Makiah had been dead longer than she was alive.  That day fell on my birthday.   Makiah lived exactly four years, four months, and four weeks. Ever since the twins were born, I have wondered about the day when they will have outlived their sister.  If you have lost a child, you know this is significant.  Our counselor has warned us about even subconscious grief as the time approaches.  Once again when I looked at the calendar, I just could not believe what I saw.  The day that Abby and Alena will have outlived Makiah by one day (well 6 hours actually), is Eliana’s first birthday. 

Let me write that again in case you missed it.  Ok, really let me write it again for me because I am so amazed!!  The morning that I will wake up and know my daughters have outlived their oldest sister will be the very day that we are celebrating the one year birthday of our little “my God has answered with strength” baby!  We couldn’t have planned her birth or known when we named her that this would happen.  But my God did!  I think I need to say it again… my God has answered with strength!  This day that could be dark or dreaded was sent a package post marked by God himself exactly one year ago.  I don’t know what to make of this except that somehow He wants us to know that our pain will be Redeemed.  Our tears are not lost and we are not without Hope.  And that is what I will carry with me in my heart when the sun rises on July 21st, 2015.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money