Skip to main content

Thanksgiving- When what's Real and really important grips your heart

The air is crisp and cool.   Brightly colored leaves crunch underfoot while a handful still cling to their homes overhead.  It was almost time to pack for the trip home for Thanksgiving.  Warm hugs.  The sound of little running feet and giggly cousin laughter.  Muffled laughs after the littles have been tucked in.  Too many cups of piping hot coffee.  I love the fall.  I love family.   I couldn't wait.  

Then I got the call at work last week that the baby was throwing up.  I almost cried right there in my little office.  We have so generously shared the stomach bug with our family the last three years at the holidays.  I just couldn't believe it was happening again.  Sure enough, the kids began to fall like dominoes, and I knew we couldn't bring this gift home again.  What are the chances of this timing!? And then I remember... In the words of John Eldridge,

We have an enemy who is hunting us.  And as Priscilla Shirer says in her book, Fervent, it almost seems as if there is someone scheming against us.  Because there is!  The bible says our adversary roams the earth looking for those he may devour.  And one of his favorite strategies is to isolate us.  From God's love and the free gift of salvation that Jesus offers first of all.  But if he fails there, then he sets out to isolate us from family...  both natural and spiritual.  And to steal our joy.  And our peace.  

And for a little while I forgot all this and had myself a good pity party.  But then the little nudge of the Holy Spirit and the wise words of my husband came.  Why not make lemonade from our lemons?  So we did.  We waited a few days after all the stomach action had subsided and headed to a lodge in North Carolina.  It's only two nights, but it saved us from the little girls' tears and disappointment.  

As I was chasing the baby around the lobby at 5am this morning so the others could sleep (let's get real about what family vacation looks like at this stage of life),  I was reminded that in all things we have a choice.  To roll over in defeat or maintain with a white knuckled grasp our perspective and the joy that He gives.  Suddenly I was overwhelmed with thankfulness.  Thankfulness for this beautiful lobby that celebrates the nature God made for us to enjoy.  Thankfulness that it had a Dunkin Donuts that opened early! Thankful that I  could be up early praying before my other kiddos have opened their eyes (chasing a toddler and praying...  Who says it has to be  done kneeling by a bed?).  Thankful that I live in a country where I feel safe and where I can freely blog about the life inside me that Jesus has given.  And thankful most of all that I have little girls living and breathing that I can clean up after when they are sick or sneak out of the room with in the predawn hours.  

Breath prayers.  I exhale the thanks and inhale the peace.  

Lord, give us eyes to see and ears to hear what is really going on around us.  May we not take our loved ones for granted or waste a minute of this precious life.  Surrender.  May we let you in.  Our hearts and our thoughts, continually, Holy Spirit. May you fill us with the joy and peace that only comes from you.  And may it make those around us feel hungry for what is Real.   Thank you that you also are chasing us.  With your love.  Perfect love.  That casts out fear.  That conquers even the grave. 


Romans 8:38-39New International Version (NIV)



38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.


From our 5:00 am adventure aka lobby exploration...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money