Skip to main content

Heaven's Nativity

I could wrap my heart up in Christmas carols this time of year.  They are like a warm cup of coffee to my soul.  We were singing O Come Let Us Adore Him one Sunday and my imagination began to wander.  No.  It began to wonder.  And I stumbled into wonder.

Imagine with me.  For a minute.  What Christmas in heaven could entail.  This is not what heaven is like.  Heaven is better!!!  The Word says…

“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9

So go with me for a minute down the rabbit hole, if you will.  And know that nothing we can imagine can even come close to the glorious reality that is…

The backdrop is breathtaking- a bit like the terrain from Lord of the Rings.  A sky with strokes of brilliantly mesmerizing color spreads out as a canopy across the heavens.  The vibrant hues are not flat but almost have movement and texture that drape the sky the same way a set of luxurious curtains look when they gently pool against the floor.  A ring of sloping mountains reach up to the sky.  The inner face of the massive formations are covered with people like moss cloaks a rock.  The crowd stretches farther than the eye can see in every direction... a great sea of color and faces sloping down towards the valley in the center where there is a stage.  And yet there is no fear of heights or falling.   Pain has no jurisdiction here.

The hearts of the people are full of joy.  So much so that is can be felt in the air almost as an audible hum.  Perfectly synchronized, it’s melodious undercurrent ripples through the vast outdoor theater.   Although the crowd surrounds the center stage in stadium seating like fashion on the mountains, every person has a fantastic view.  With the toss of the head it’s as if each one has swooped down the mountainside at the breakneck speed of an eagle skimming just over the others to look directly at the scene below.  Yet they haven’t left their seats.  It’s almost as if each one’s eyes have their own zoom feature. Distance does not impede here.  

The crowd is completely absorbed in the drama below.  It is a reenactment of the birth of  a miracle.  Of the day when God stepped out of Heaven and into a body confined by time and distance and suddenly vulnerable to pain of every kind.  Perfection took on limits and embraced suffering with great intentionality.  Heaven stooped down to crawl in the dust of earth in pursuit of the very heart of man.  All eyes are riveted on stage as they watch the ultimate love story unfold and the revelation that they were the ones being pursued vibrates through each being.  Hope fills the air like water rising in a rushing tide as Mary cradles the bundle in her arms, a King in swaddling clothes, and the wise men bow down with noses to the ground before him.  

Suddenly, angels fill the air, wings flapping.   Everyone catches their breath at once, and wonder grips each heart.  Awe.  The tremble of anticipation.  

Then

JESUS steps out on the stage- a grown man as He is now.  Emmanuel.  God with us. The hair on  his head is white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes are like blazing fire. And the praise thunders from every direction.  A torrent of song bursting forth from the four corners of the heavens. 

O come let us adore Him!
O come let us adore Him!

What? You recognize that song from earth.  Why yes. Perhaps God allows men to hear the melody of angels and those men teach them to us without knowing they were not the first to write the melody.  Or perhaps the Holy Spirit inspires unique praise from men and the Angels like it so much they add it to their heavenly anthems.  They often worship with us on earth you know. 

O come let us adore Him!
Christ the Lord.

Jesus.  Messiah.  The One who came to save.  The Perfect Lamb of God.  Without blemish.  Redeemer.  The One who takes back what was stolen. He holds up His hands.  All eyes can see He was pierced for Our transgressions.  He has indeed inscribed us on the palm of His hands, that we can never be forgotten.  He tilts His head and although there are multitudes, it's as if He is looking each one in the eye.  In a second that gaze from His flashing eyes has penetrated to the deepest core of every being and hearts swell instantly with the tangible, overwhelming presence of His love.  It’s as if we can't contain it.  And we can't.  Out it pours from our lips like liquid praise, an offering of sweet smelling incense rising before the throne.  

For He alone is worthy.  
For He alone is worthy.  
For He alone is worthy, 
Christ the Lord.

And the multitudes fall to their knees in awe and worship all across those great mountains… and you.  Feel the penetrating gaze of His love.  Put down your screen and fall to your knees in worship.  Let the song in your heart over run your mind and your mouth and pour forth from lips touched by His love.  Embrace. Awe. This. Christmas.  Because He is reaching to embrace You.


We'll give you all the glory
We'll give you all the glory
We'll give you all the glory 
Christ, the Lord



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money