Skip to main content

If You Mess With The Bull...

On Christmas day we had a special treat.  We had our family and a couple whom I call “framily”- some friends that are like family- around the dinner table.   We were laughing and playing a game of UNO Attack post dessert with the adults and kids.  This was a first because up until that point my kids haven’t been old enough to play anything that might actually be fun for adults!  We told a funny story about something mischievous that 4 year old Eliana had done, and she looked at our family life pastor’s husband and said “If you mess wit da bull, you get da horns!” Clearly, I credit this to her father’s influence!!

I was driving and singing at the top of my lungs this morning to a worship song- alone- because that’s the only time I sing at the top of my lungs!  This funny scene from Christmas came flooding into my mind.  “If you mess with the bull, you get the horns!”  How often does the enemy mess with us and we tuck our tails and run.  Mostly because we forget we are the bull.  For some reason I am picturing Ferdinand right now!  We forget who we are.

 We have had a lot of sickness this month it seems, and for some reason I forget in the day to day that the Jesus I love heals people.  I am reading through Mathew right now, and it is everywhere.  You can’t get away from the miracles.  Jesus was way more than talk.  He was the proof in the pudding!  And I know he still heals today!

A child of mine, who would hang me out to dry if I told you her name, had some nasty warts on her feet.  I bought some wart medicine, but the thing about it is it needs to be applied everyday for 6 weeks to work.  Mother of 4 littles + daily application of topical medicine = warts forever because it will never get done right!  At least that’s how the equation goes around here! We did it a couple of times over the last few months, but then I lost the medicine completely over the break.  However, several times we prayed over her toes while we put it on and told those things to fall off in Jesus name.   Last week I was making the grocery list and said I needed to get some more medicine.  My little overheard me and said, “Mom, you don’t need to because the warts are gone!”  Great woman of faith that I am- I grabbed her toes in disbelief to inspect them thoroughly myself.  And would you believe they were gone without a trace?!?

Now I know this is really a tiny thing, but to my little it was huge!  Her faith- clearly not mine- had made her well!  I am not making any theological statement about why people do or don’t get healed or do or don’t die for that matter (remember what side of that experience I am sitting on), I am just saying that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that we have a God who loves us and this was just one more way that I was reminded.  

I was also reminded that there is power in the name of Jesus.  There is power in declaring the Word over our lives and our children’s lives.  Far too often I look at my circumstances, and I forget to see past them to what might really be going on.  Or perhaps I forget that nothing is too small for my Father’s love to reach down and be involved.  If He didn’t care to be a part of our day to day struggles, then He wouldn’t have sent the Holy Spirit to teach us and comfort us and lead us into all truth.  But He did.  


I want to encourage you and me today- I am totally writing to myself this morning- to not forget who we are.  That we are loved beyond measure.  Created in His image to do good works that were prepared for us.  Given every spiritual blessing in Christ Jesus in the heavenly realms.  When the enemy picks on us, let’s get our praise on and our prayers going!  Let’s get a little more of that fighting spirit and not tuck our tails.  Let’s adopt a new attitude this year.  Let’s keep the truth before us and declare that if the enemy messes with this bull, he will get the horns!


Ephesians 1:18-20 New International Version (NIV)

18 I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, 19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength 20 he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,


How could this sweet princess make such a comment!?
And I know none of you will be asking me to help decorate  for Christmas after seeing our tree...
Just keep in mind it was the masterpiece of 4 littles who were so proud!

Well maybe the comment looks more possible here!
She hasn't decided yet if she will be a "ballerina" or a "ninja!"
And yes, I do shamelessly buy clearance costumes
after Halloween to use as Christmas presents!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money