Skip to main content

Mimi is Home

 Her raven black hair pinned neatly out of her face, she gave the children a stern look before following it with a quick smile.  Her almond shaped green eyes flashed as she continued the grammar lesson she had diligently prepared for her  students.  There would be no acting out in Mrs. Turner’s room.  Or bad grammar for that matter.  She had worked hard to get her education degree, and took both the job of teaching and the job of loving these little people to heart.  It had been no small challenge for her to go back to college while raising four children, supporting her traveling husband, and juggling a household.  Mrs. Turner’s dedication spilled over into her everyday interactions in the classroom.


And the Sunday school room.  With a smile on her face and a bible full of notes in her lap, this same lady whose expressions could make those children sit up straight also greeted a group of women weekly with warmth that kept them coming back.  Every week.  For decades.  Lucy, as she was known to them, taught her Sunday school class not for months or years, but for decades (40ish years between children’s Sunday school and her women’s class!).  Slipping away from all the busyness  that tugged at her each Saturday, she devoted hours to studying God’s word and saying yes to communicating His truth to those divinely placed in her circle of influence.  


And to those of us divinely placed in the circle of her family, she was our Mimi.  As she aged she grew even more beautiful- defying the bitterness of this world and leaning solely on the love of God. Oh, she drank her share from the cup of life’s sorrows, but she did not let circumstances define her.  Mimi held fast to the Truths that she poured into her soul each week from God’s Word, and she knew who she was.  And to whom she belonged.  And where her ultimate home would be.  To that end she lived.  In such a valiant way that the tears fill my eyes as I think of it now.  She was not famous or well known, but she faithfully and obediently did the next thing God placed in front of her.  She took each next step with her eyes fixed on Him.  She did not let herself be overcome by asking “Why?” but instead discovered how God would reveal Himself to her in each season.  And she loved.  Us.  With well worn knees and thoughts penned inside her favorite Guide Post cards, she reached across the miles with her words of encouragment and wisdom.  


When we were able to visit her home, her famous pound cake was almost always waiting in the kitchen.  In my life full of change and moving and different houses and towns and churches, there was only one thing that never changed all those years.  Mimi’s house.  She lived in that  same brick house  on Sterret Street for 68 years.  The sights, the smells, and the memories greeted me with a flood of nostalgia whenever I walked in the door.  Sleeping bags lined up across her living room floor full of precious cousins.  Doing flips on the world’s oldest swing set.  Listening to Papa tell me how to pick a ripe bell pepper from the massive garden.  Peeking in her sewing room where she was bedazzling anything from shoes to sweatshirts (she could sew like nobody’s business and even made all three of her girls beautiful wedding dresses!).  Sitting on the back porch at dinner with the other young cousins and wondering if we would ever “move up” to the kitchen table with the teens (we never dreamed of eating in the dining room with the adults!).  For about a decade now I said each goodbye to our Mimi with a lingering and a wondering if would be my last.  One more hug.  One more kiss on the cheeck.  And each time her tender voice trailing behind me as I walked out the back door, “Bye Darling.”


Her legacy is one of faithfulness.  Faithfulness to God, to family, to her calling, and to excellence in the little things.  I am sure as young Mrs. Turner stepped through the door of her classroom each morning, she never dreamed that one of those wiggly third grade students she was pouring into would be brought full circle back into her life at 99 1/2.  My throat tightened and the tears sprung loose when my Mom told me that one of Mimi’s recently hired care takers was a former student.  As God would have it, this precious soul was the one who was with our Mimi when she slipped into eterninty.  As my grandmother took her last breaths,  this lady whispered to herself that Mrs. Turner had helped her through the third grade, and now she got to help her as she took the step into the next life. 


I will never forget my Mimi.  And I will never forget that we have no idea how we are impacting those around us.  We never know how God will use a life we have touched to touch our own.  





PS I know Mimi would correct my fragments if she could see this so let’s keep my love of writing in incomplete sentences between us!



My Papa was there to greet her!




Makiah hugging Mimi... I just know this was Mimi's welcome home!


Sweet Makiah with Mimi at Makiah's last earthly family reunion.


Flashback...

The day before the school shut down in Georgia, the girls and I
had skipped town to visit Grandparents and made a stop at Mimi's.  
We had no idea what was coming and that this was the last visit! 

I was so impressed my 98 year old grandmother (at the time)
 had sparkly nail polish!  Mom told me later it was for Makiah.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money