Skip to main content

Something is Missing


Mommy, something is missing.”

The words she utters as I am trying to slide out the bedroom door.


“What’s missing, baby?”  I say, slightly annoyed at the delay in my escape.

“Is it a stuffed animal or you need another kiss?”


“I don’t know.  I just feel like something is missing.”


It’s dark outside, and I am ready to move past bedtime… but the words are unusual.  She is only 6.  Several nights in a week or two we repeat this scenario.  I finally think to tell her, maybe her heart wants God’s presence.  I pray with her and tell her to talk to Him when I leave- to tell Jesus she loves Him and ask Him to fill up what’s missing.


Another week or two goes by, and I forget.  It’s so easy in the midst of the busy and the “urgent” to forget the significant.  Sometimes we barely even notice it.  Social media calls and the tv blares, and often the real is overlooked.  Buried up under all that soul noise. Or blanketed by the to do list.


“Mommy, something is missing.”


Those words again.  I am still without answers.  Me- who has lived a few decades.  But this time she is not.  She-who has only breathed on this earth for 79 short months.  


“I think I know what’s missing,” she says.


“What is it?  What’s missing?” I ask curiously.


I am still expecting it to be a toy.  


“It’s forgiveness,” she says.  And the words catch me off gaurd.


“What do you mean?” I ask.


“I don’t forgive people.  When I get in trouble with you or dad, I put an X on your name.  And other people, too.  I don’t forgive them.”  

I am astonished.


“Do you keep a list on real paper?” I fumble.


“No, it’s in my heart,”  replies her little voice in the dark all surrounded by mermaids and pink bears.  “I put an x on them in my heart.”


She has figured it out.  She tells me she prayed like I told her to.  This is what she has come up with.  The missing.  The thing that has bothered her night after night is that she has not forgiven.  Those who hurt her little heart.  Or made her mad.  They still have x’s on their names, and she feels it.  She feels the missing.  The lack of peace.  The unforgiveness burning deep.  Separating  her 6 year old soul from peace.


I am astonished.  I feel hardened.  Perhaps the years have calloused me from such sensitivity.  The tread of life dulling my spiritual senses.  The noise drowning out the focus.  


Oh Lord,  strip our grown up hearts of hardness!  Peel off the thickened layers that protect the deep.  Help us to feel the ache of the missing.  To notice the lack of peace.  To humble ourselves and forgive those who have hurt us.  As you have forgiven us!  This Easter week may we remember the criss cross of the lashes on Jesus back.  The X’s he bore in blood for our forgiveness.  The shredding he endured for our healing- our piecing back together.  May we forgive those we have “X’ed” out and allow your Holy Spirit to fill up the missing in us!





“And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.”

Mathew 18:3


“But he was pierced for our rebellion, crushed for our sins. He was beaten so we could be whole. He was whipped so we could be healed. “  Isaiah 53:5 NLT




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money