Skip to main content

Makiah's Gift


Miracles.  Sometimes they surprise us all at once in a supernatural sort of way.  Other times they start like a tiny drip, drip, dripping until the bucket fills and overflows and a miracle is born.  Makiah’s gift began with the clinking of little pennies in her piggy bank.  Then with tiny footsteps as tiny fingers brought it to her preschool class offering at church.  A little heart had purposed to give it all away… to send it to the boys and girls that had no clean water.  That’s what she told her mama that day.  A short two weeks before she was taken away.  Her last gift.

So tiny it would seem.  Those first few drops in the bucket.  But then other hearts began to shift and sway.  Soon the dripping turns to flowing.  Water flowing.  Life flowing.  Pennies in the hand  become water on the fingers and past the lips of grateful ones.  Two more wells are completed for the thirsty ones.   

 In Nsawan, Ghana the village of 1,500 people depended on a nearby stream that was only sufficient if it rained… until the bucket of  miracle drops overflowed into a well there.  At the dedication ceremony, the gospel was presented.  The people were offered living water that does not run dry.  The life that Jesus gives.  Thirteen people drank and gave their lives to Christ!  The best miracle of all!

In Phnom, Cambodia an open well and pond were the only sources of water for the 250 families.  When the well was dedicated one of the villagers said to a Living Water team member, “I am very happy to see that the well was drilled in my village, because in my village we did not have clean water to use.  Our people were struggling every day to fetch water to suffice their family’s needs.  But now the Living Water project has brought us a pump well.  We are so thankful because the water is clean and safe to drink.  This is such a wonderful gift!”

Makiah’s gift.  Your gift!  What a difference all the little drops have made!  Every well charm purchased and every donation made are gifts of life that matter greatly to the people of Nsawan and Phnom.  Maybe their children will live longer because of you.  Only God knows the lives that have been saved and the hearts that have been changed.   And those that will be impacted… the money for the 4th, 5th, and 6th wells has already been given!  A miracle.

A dear friend has made a generous offering for the miracle bucket.  She has published a book, “Sweet Dreams Little One,” and decided that 100% of the profits from every online sale between now (February 2012) and May 2012- Makiah’s birthday month- will go to the Makiah Kaitlyn King Well Project.  The book is a precious bedtime story that teaches colors and encourages little ones to have sweet dreams.  If there is a special little one in your life, you have the opportunity to give them a gift and at the same time make my little girl’s real dream continue to grow.  A chance to pour into the next miracle bucket…  The books can be purchased at this link on Amazon:

Sweet Dreams Little One             

...or this one at Barnes and Noble:          Sweet Dreams Little One

Only $1800 builds a well.  Tax deductible donations to the Well Project can be made by mailing a check to:

Operation Blessing International
Attn: Christine Coughlin, CSB 322
977 Centerville Turnpike
Virginia Beach, VA 23463


*Mark your gift clearly on the check for Makiah King and it will be credited to her account.

Phnom, Cambodia
Clean water!










Homes in Nsawan Ghana




Nsawan, Ghana

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money