Skip to main content

Lean In

Tragedy struck our family last week.  Our church family.  A dear friend, an intercessor, a pillar in the church lost her only son on Wednesday.  He was a husband and a father and a brand new grandfather.  I missed a week of writing before spring break.  Then last week this loss engulfed me, and I just had no words.  

Sunday this brave soul brought her grandson to church with her.  I watched as the body of Christ surrounded them with love and prayers and tears.  And it touched my heart.  When one part of the body hurts, we all hurt.  The words my husband said from the pulpit.  We all felt it, but it needed to be said.  We all needed to share in their grief.  To stop for a few minutes and wrap our arms around them.  I learned a long time ago that most words don’t mean much in deep grief.  Except the ones that say, “I am with you.”  The ones that say, “You are not forgotten.”  No one can walk your broken road for you.  But they can remind you that you are seen.  Seen by them.  And ultimately seen by God.  The One who says our tears are precious to HIm.

The message that morning was about Caleb in the Old Testament and how he was delayed in entering the promised land by those who brought back a negative report.  He was delayed for 40 years because of other people’s sin, but he did not get bitter.  He was delayed but not disqualified.  Caleb endured his desert season and eventually walked into victory.  

Then something in the message jumped out at me.  It wasn’t a main point, but it was a truth that was there glimmering like a bit of gold dust hidden in the words.  The manna that God provided to the Israelites duing the 40 years they were in the desert stopped falling when they crossed the Jordan river into the promised land.  Joshua 5:12 says that no manna appeared on the first day that they ate from the crops of the land, and it was never seen again.  Once the Israelites left the desert, they had to plant and harvest and work for their provision.  But not while they were in the desert.

Do you see it?  The message of His grace?  There is a special grace, a provision from heaven, a mercy, a tenderness that God surrounds us with when we are in a desert season.  It’s a special provision that we only receive when we are walking through hard times.  A supernatural sustaining that He gives to us when we are in that dusty, scorching place that feels like death.  The manna fell every morning and would rot if you tried to keep it overnight.  Just like when we are in grief.  We can only manage one day at a time.  And that is exactly how His sustaining grace is measured to us in those hard moments.  One day at a time.  It is there for the taking every morning.  He literally feeds us when we cannot feed ourselves.

God does not expect us to be superheroes in the desert.  He longs for us to lean in to Him.  To press our wet cheeks against the chest of our strong Father and let Him embrace us with His love.  Even in the desert.  Where the sun is blinding and the path seems to have disappeared beneath the sand.  His tender mercies are there to sustain us.  One. Day. At. A. Time.

He has not forgotten us.  He calls you His beloved, and He has not forgotten you. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money