Skip to main content

My Dresser Drawer

I could hardly sleep last night.  I lay in the darkness feeling the cool air billow across white sheets and listening to the hum of the fan.  I want to immerse myself in memories.  I want to be there in them.  I hear her little footsteps as she runs to our room in the night.  She stands by my bed and her arms are full of fuzzy friends and her silky pink pillow.  "Mommy I dropped the bunny!" she cries.  I pull her across me and make room for her little pillow and stuffed animals.  "Mommy will get him, baby."  With a little irritation at the number of animals that must make the midnight trek to our bed, I retrieve the pink softness.  She sighs and snuggles into the warmth between mommy and daddy.   I kiss her soft cheeks and pull my fingers through gentle, blond curls.  And the world feels right.  I think of the morning.  Light creeps through the blinds and she exclaims exuberantly, "Time to get up!  The sun is up!"  I rub her little arm and kiss the birthmark near her right shoulder.  She giggles and tries to wiggle away.  Blue-green glistens and the sweetness around her eyes crinkles with delight. 

I try to think of more.  Frantically I rack my brain for clear memories.  I think of the last day.  We stop at an outlet for Cameron to buy some running shoes.  I sit on a bench next to a bin of miniature basketballs.  She picks out the pink and black one and tries to bounce it.  I try to show her how to dribble it, but there is not enough air in the ball.  She won't try the others because they are boy colors.  We walk outside to wait, and tiny fingers are laced through mine.  She says we should lay on the bench.  I laugh and say I think I will sit, but she can put her head in my lap if she likes.  She does.  The weight of her on me.  The last time.  We squint, and I remember I left my sunglasses by the basketballs.  I stand by the door and watch as she bounces her way back to retrieve them for me.  I thank her, and she says "What for?"  I say for getting my glasses.  She smiles, grabs my hand, and says, "Oh mommy!"

Later we wait again while daddy looks for shirts.  I take her to the restroom; then she climbs up onto the chair beside me and says "Now what can we do?" with her arms up in a gesture of bewilderment. We play "I spy," and a woman walks by and smiles at us.  I wonder what she would think if she knew my baby would be dead in a few hours.

Every time my eyes are open during the night, I am grasping memories.  Trying to live in them.  Then this morning we get the call.  The slowly creaking wheels of the judicial system are finally moving.  A motion has been filed to try the young man who killed her as an adult.  The hearing is next Tuesday at 12.  I think I will throw up. Are we ready for this?  Are we ready to hear the first decision... to see the man?  I choose with my will to forgive him whenever he crosses my mind.  But forgiveness does not negate the need for justice.  My memory of his face is foggy.  Do I want to let that change?  Will he be tried as an adult?  Whatever his sentence turns out to be in this onerous process, his family can still touch his face, hear his voice, kiss his cheeks...

I put the babies down for a nap.  I can hear them fussing as I almost run to the bedroom on the other side of the house.  The wailing sound startles even me.  Can that animal like noise be coming from my mouth?  I cannot stop it.  The groans and cries come from a deep pit of agony... a place no one should visit.  I just want my baby.  I don't want answers or logic.  I just want my baby!  In my arms, cheek to cheek, kissing all over her sweet face.  To hear her voice.  To touch her warm skin.  To hold her close.  Not just in the memories that I cling to.  I fight against the feeling that she was never real.  Never really here.  Invisible.  A part of a memory or feeling that can only be conjured up in the mind.  All I have left of her is a lock of golden hair.   Wrapped in a delicate white cloth.  In a wooden box.  In my dresser drawer...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money