Skip to main content

The Colors of Love

 Dear Sweet Makiah,

I suppose that God does not let children in heaven read letters from their parents on earth, but just in case I am wrong...  Today it has been exactly one year since your trip to heaven.   We have spent the whole day thinking about you (that is not too different than most days).  This morning we had waffles for breakfast because you had them for your last breakfast.  We remembered how you loved to have waffles after church on Wednesday nights and you asked for "waffle Wednesday."  Mommy let your cat, Buster, in for the first time since the girls were born, and they were delighted.  Abby gave his fur a good tug for you and Lena grabbed his tail.  It only took Buster a few minutes to go look in your room for you.  Even he has not forgotten!

Our sweet neighbor brought a hot apple pie so we ate it for lunch in honor of you.  You would have liked that!  After the girls napped we drove to the resurrection site and released 7 rainbow colored balloons with your story inside.  Maybe someone will find them and contact us...  you always loved "I spy" games.  We said a prayer as we released each one.  The girls fell asleep and Mommy and Daddy sat there for a long time.  We cried a little because we miss you, but we tried to picture you in heaven.  Mommy thought about the day that Jesus will come back and you will get up out of that grave.  The cool wind whisked away my tears and I pressed my eyes tight.  Trying to imagine that maybe I will feel that wind when it is my day to journey to heaven.  Did you hear that sound as you were whisked away from earth?  Did the light of heaven feel warm on your face like the sun did on mine?  We asked God to help us know how real heaven really is... more real than the wind in my hair or the sun on my cheeks.

We bought a pumpkin and some pretty flowers for our porch.  You always got so excited when we bought a pumpkin and Daddy carved it with you.  Then we took the girls to Mr. Chick.  The last thing you ate was french fries...  so we let the girls try their first fries!  I wish you could have seen their delighted little faces, Makiah!  We watched the clock all day and talked about what we were doing exactly a year ago as each hour went by.  We remembered the things you said and did and our last conversations.  Later, we looked at pictures of our last morning... you looked so pretty that day!  We spent the rest of the night trying to make slide shows of you to post.  I think Daddy's is uploading now, but Mommy's didn't work yet so I guess Daddy's mac wins out over my pc for tonight!

Do you remember that rainbows stand for a promise from God?  You told Mrs. Laurie, your teacher, that all the colors of the rainbow were your favorite because they were all so pretty you couldn't pick one.  I wish God would let you see that there are literally thousands of rainbow toes today- painted in your honor!  Your Mommy and Daddy are overwhelmed and humbled and thankful for all the colorful love!!  So many people remember and love you and can't wait to meet you one day, sweet Kiah!  Even your sisters wore rainbow socks for you.  And last night at 6:00 (the same time on Friday of last year that you met Jesus), there was a beautiful rainbow across Cairo that seemed to end at our church!  Coincidence? :)

I want you to know that you will always be my first baby.  I am asking God to give you angel, eskimo, and butterfly kisses from me on this, your 1st heaven day...  until I can give them to you myself...

All my love,
Mommy

Rainbow Toes from Cousins- one of hundreds of amazing pics!
Rainbow over Cairo at 6pm Friday night



Twin's Rainbow Toes
Mommy too


Makiah's 1st Heaven Day

Oct. 8, 2011








Oct. 8, 2010   Daddy's last kiss

The morning she died

Holding Daddy's Hand

Such a Sweet Little Princess
Makiah's Pink Sparkly Toes

Makiah next to Abby & Alena her last day
Our Last family Photo

Mommy's fingers in her curls
Our camera was blurry that last morning...  until the day we see clearly!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money