Skip to main content

Where Rainbows Hide


The hum of the motor.  The warmth of the sun beating down.  When I look out from the front of the boat the beautiful view of the placid lake is breathtaking.  I lean over the side and dance my fingers in the spray of water coming from beneath the boat.  The view this way is nothing  spectacular.  Dark water.  Hazy spray.  Kind of like life.  When our nose is to the grind,  head down, there is often not much to see.  Perspective can be elusive.  We see just what is right in front of us.  

A new school year is fast approaching. The grind.  The rushing.  The challenge to be organized.  School. Meals. Laundry. House. Sports. Work. Breathless.  Hazy.  The feeling that what’s in front of me is the most important thing- even if it’s not.  

I tilt my head as I peer into the white spray of water cascading over the lake.  And then I see it.  Just a glimpse.  A glimmer.  A rainbow!  With all of its beautiful colors dancing right there in the water by the edge of the boat as we whir along.  It disappears just as fast as it appeared.  I keep staring and every few minutes when the light hits the water just right, I see it again.  

And it’s there in the monotony, too.  Amidst the whir of life as we speed along.  If we look hard enough, we can catch a glimpse.  Of the beautiful.  The surprising.  The promise of God to not stop loving us.  To refresh us and fill us with life and hope.  To remind us that the eternal is all around us.  Laundry and homework and meals will not be remembered.  But the laughter and the kisses and the hugs after work will be impressed on the hearts of our loved ones. Futures will be shaped by the prayers that are uttered... not the clothes that are worn.  When we peer deep into His word and whisper His promises into the ears of those around us,  something awakens in them.   And in us, too.  


A purpose beyond what we can see.  His glory waiting to burst out with brilliant colors.  To refocus the eye and the heart.  Lord help me not to miss the magical moments.  Help us to take our eyes off the screens and peer into your Word and into the eager eyes of our loved ones- your loved ones.   To look.  To see the gold within them.  To really listen.  To wait for You.  Pull us deeper and cause joy to spill over into the mundane.  To be refreshed.  And to refresh others.  Cause us to find thankfulness amid the everyday tasks... 



  • Psalm 19:7 NIV
  • The law of the Lord is perfect,
        refreshing the soul.The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy,
        making wise the simple.
  • Psalm 23:1-3 NIV
    The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
        He makes me lie down in green pastures,
    he leads me beside quiet waters,
        he refreshes my soul.
    He guides me along the right paths
        for his name’s sake.
  • Philemon 1:7 NIV
    Your love has given me great joy and encouragement,
  •  because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of 
  • the Lord’s people.

Somewhere between the laundry and the hairbows....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money