Skip to main content

An Invitation to Be Amazed

It’s been all fairy gardens and trips to the lake with family and fun this summer for my little tribe.       This week we step back into the grindstone of school and homework and sports (well indoor sports because I don’t like to sweat).  I often tell my children the Bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue, and this morning I felt a challenge rising within myself to determine what I will say over my little ones this school year.

I was reading this morning and ran across a verse that grabbed me.  

 “But Jesus rebuked the impure spirit, healed the boy and gave him back to his father. And they were all amazed at the greatness of God.”  Luke 9:42-43

What caught my eye was the similarity to another verse that I have been turning over in my mind lately.

51 Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed,“ Mark 6:51

Two very different situations.  Two very similar responses.  In the first scenario Jesus performs a miracle and heals a little boy. Everyone is amazed. In the second situation Jesus brings peace to a raging storm by climbing into the boat with his disciples. One version says they were utterly astounded.

I spend a lot of time pretending to be amazed.  “Mommy, watch me walk on my hands!”  I pretend to be amazed.  “Mommy, look at the picture I drew!”  I pretend to be amazed.  “Mommy, watch me zoom so fast!” Again, I feign astonishment.  But think of a time when you were really amazed.  I mean truly, utterly astonished.  Maybe it was a breath taking sunset or a real life miracle.  Hold onto that feeling for a minute. I’m coming back to it...

My girls and I were singing to this Seeds Family Worship song driving in the car yesterday and it lead to a little talk about life.  The song, Psalm 95:1-4, says,
“Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord;
    let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before him with thanksgiving
    and extol him with music and song.
For the Lord is the great God,
    the great King above all gods.
In his hand are the depths of the earth,
    and the mountain peaks belong to him.”

Life is full of seasons, and as we enter a new school year I am sure we will face both depths and mountain peaks.  I told my littles that sometimes they will feel like everything is great and they are winning at life, but other times life will be HARD. And they won’t understand why their hearts hurt so much.  But this song says that Both seasons are in Gods hand- the highs and the lows.  Times change but the Rock of our salvation does not!  

And I see an invitation here.  We can invite Jesus into this school year and prepare our hearts to be amazed-truly utterly astounded.  He may bring miracles or he may climb into the boat with us that is rocked by storms and breath Peace.  Peace that causes astonishment.  I know I need both.  What He wants from us is songs of praise and thanksgiving and He will bring the joy that can only come from One who is above every situation.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money