Skip to main content

Makiah’s 12th Heaven Day

 Yet Hope returns when I remember this one thing- the Lord’s unfailing love and mercy still continue, fresh as the morning as sure as the sunrise. Lamentations 3:21-23 (GNT)


There aren’t very many things in our 

ever changing world that seem to hold fast and remain the same day after day. Two things that have remained untouched by time my entire life are the sunrise and my grandmother’s house.


My Mimi  lived in the same house in a tiny town in central Alabama since 1940ish. When she moved there she was in her early 20’s with one tiny tot or maybe two. It was a two bedroom house that they added onto over the years. But in my lifetime I could always count on the old swingset in the backyard to be there. The tree she planted as a young adult had grown into a massive oak that seemed unchanging and committed to outliving us all.  The pale blue walls and carpet of her living room were always inviting in a calming sort of way.


Two years ago my grandmother finally went to be with Jesus after 99 years of fighting the good fight and showing all the rest of us what it means to be faithful. After that the house was sold, and I found that it only remains and unchanged in my memory.


But the sunrise. There’s never been a day the sun has not peeked around the earth. There have been days when I wished with every fiber of my being that it would not rise. But it breaks into the sky relentlessly. Every day. Without

Fail.


…the Lord’s unfailing love and mercy still continue fresh as the morning as sure as the sunrise….


Still. The word “still” catches me. It implies despite the circumstances. Even though the hardship. In the face of pain and suffering. Still. Still the Lord‘s love and mercy continue. As sure as the sun rise.


Are you there in that place where it feels as if it’s not true? I recall those bitter days.  My heart could barely believe it, but it wanted desperately for it to be true- for His love to still be there and for hope to return.  


It doesn’t matter if we feel that the sun will rise or not. The sun is not swayed a bit by our questions.  He is faithful to make his trek across the sky and to break through the darkness over every circumstance. And so the Lord‘s love and mercy do not depend on our feelings.  He will break through as fresh as the morning. And as sure as the sunrise!


Yet hope returns when I remember this one thing…


The Hebrew word there for remember is “ashib .”  It comes from the root word “shub” which means to turn back or return.  It also means to make restitution, recompense, or to restore.  All packed up in that one Hebrew word there is the promise that if we will remember this one thing, if we will turn our hearts and our minds back towards God’s unfailing love, then we will be restored!


And all the sudden hope floods in-


Therefore tell the people: This is what the Lord Almighty says: ‘Return to me,’ declares the Lord Almighty, ‘and I will return (shubu) to you,’ says the Lord Almighty.  


Zachariah 1:3


There are so many things in life we cannot control. Even the things that seem stable almost all of our days will eventually change. Except for the steadfast, unfailing love and mercy of the Lord!

But what we can control is the direction of our thoughts.  He is calling us to turn our hearts and minds back to Him!  


So today, October 8th, as I think of my sweet girl with soft, blonde curls and I remember her and miss her, hope floods in, and I know that this is not the end of the story.



This verse has been churning around in my heart since the Divine women’s conference where it was the theme a few weeks ago. I wrote this blog last Saturday in preparation for today. Last night late we arrived at the beach. I did not set an alarm, but God in his faithfulness woke me up at exactly the moment the sun was peeking around the earth. I watched the beautiful sunrise and marveled. It was another 20 minutes before I remembered what I had written the blog about for today.   The whispers are there. The love called beckoning us to turn our hearts towards him.  As sure as the sun rise...

Comments

  1. This is beautiful Rachel! Honestly, this is the first post I have been able to read! …I think my mama’s heart has been afraid to hear the “raw” that you spoke of… I think you need to add the word honey 🍯 to the raw …This is Rachel’s “Raw Honey” - pure and sweet that is healing ❤️‍🩹 to those who read it, as you have connected with God 🖖🔥👑✨and discovered His healing balm in His Word and poured that loving touch out through your testimony. What a blessing this blog and your book will be to parents and grandparents who have lost a child! His anointing oil has saturated your message here.

    Now, to find again the podcast interview you had last year! Maybe I can listen to it now… knowing it is raw honey 🍯 you are sharing.
    Charlotte💜🖖🔥👑🐫🐎✨

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so gifted, so saturated with the Spirit of the Lord! Hope, Strength, Encouragement, Faithfulness…thank you, precious Rachel! You are such a blessing! And I agree…Raw Honey. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money