Skip to main content

The Lies We Believe Post #3

This week one of my dearest friends has opened up about a struggle she faced this fall... and in this season of life.  My friend Avril is an amazing lady who juggles work, family, a demanding job, and a doctoral program while keeping her beautiful smile in tact.  I truly don't know how she does it all! I hope as she opens up her heart this week that you will see a bit if your own struggles and hear God's encouraging whisper  calling you deeper...

“Mommy, I want to join the swim team” Eight words that may seem pretty benign. Eight words that for any other parent may have brought joy or a sense of pride that their child was seeking a new adventure. Not me. I froze at the sound of those eight words. Why? Because I knew it just wasn’t just a question; it was a test. You see, last year, when Olivia, our 16-year-old, asked me that very same question, I immediately dismissed the idea. I convinced
myself she didn’t have the skills for competitive swimming so why bother. At least that’s the excuse I allowed myself to believe. This year though...this year is different. This year I’m in a different place in my faith journey. God is taking me through a season of letting go. A season of releasing me of the lie that I am in control. God has been revealing areas of my life that I have allowed to be dictated by fear and the need to control the outcome. Olivia and all of her activities are among those areas. You see, Olivia has Sickle Cell Anemia. A condition that, when triggered, causes her unbearable pain. In her 16 years, I have spent countless hours in the emergency room, watching as she writhed in pain. Sitting there...helpless. Sitting there...not in control. Those moments make me sad and angry all at the same time. Why wouldn’t I want to do everything in my power to protect her from that...or are my actions really to protect me...from feeling helpless and not in control. 

Conditions that trigger her pain...lack of oxygen, dehydration, extreme heat or extreme cold and overexertion. Don’t those conditions sound exactly like competitive swimming?! Why God? Why must you test me in this way? Then He spoke very clearly...."Will you trust me with her? Will you let me do My work in her life? I have great plans for her. Plans for her to reach this world in My name. Plans that will take her into places and spaces where you will not be able to help her or control the outcome. I cannot do My work as long as you are holding on so tightly. This is your first step...of letting go”. I’m not sure how long I was frozen...lost in my thoughts but my trance was interrupted by Olivia’s voice, “Mommy, did you hear me?” I did hear her, but I didn’t want to. “Yes, we’ll talk about it later”. 

Everything was coming full circle. When I was pregnant with Olivia, I had a dream that she came out of the womb preaching the gospel. About a year ago, during one of our weekly church services, she had a Word spoken over her that her feet would touch many nations. This week as we spoke about college options and her passions, she stated she wanted to reach the world for Christ. As I wrestled with all of this, God placed a scripture on my heart...”Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.” Psalms‬ ‭127:4‬. Can you imagine a trained warrior, a person who has spent her entire life preparing for battle by sharpening her arrow and perfecting her aim? Imagine her going into battle, drawing her arrow, placing it in the bow, pulling back, making perfect aim, but then not letting go?! That’s what we do as parents when we spend years pouring God’s truth into our children, sacrificing sleep, spending hours on our knees, preparing them for the future, and then not letting go...not releasing them to fulfill their God-given purpose. This is my current journey. A difficult but necessary one. Learning to let go of my first arrow. So, today, I took my first step on that journey. As I sit here at the side of the pool during Olivia’s first swim team practice. Sitting here...helpless. Sitting here...not in control. 

As you raise your children, may God grant you the wisdom and strength to guide and mold them. May He also grant you the faith and courage to let go. 

~~~~~~~~~
“We give birth to our children, but they do not belong to us.” ~ Marcus Buckingham 

”Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth.” ~ Psalms‬ ‭127:4‬.


Beautiful Olivia!!!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deafening Silence

In a single second my life has been radically altered.  My precious gift from God, sweet Makiah Kaitlyn, has gone to be with Jesus long before her time.  I know in my heart that she is happy, but my arms are so empty... my house so dreadfully quiet.  I feel at times that a horrible blackness has enveloped me.  I feel as though my insides are screaming.  I am clawing and fighting to break out of this torturous body- to escape from this oppressive reality, but I cannot escape.  The dark anguish leaps on me again and again.  It sits on my chest and presses against my very life breath.  My heart feels utterly crushed and broken- pummeled into a thousand pieces.  Life as I knew it has been shattered and the shards that are left are painful and sharp.  Cutting me as I try to walk through them.  This is the valley of the shadow of death.  How dark is that shadow! Her room is perfectly untouched.  All of the dolls in her dollhouse family are piled into their little bed together where she lef

Toes

Outside the sky is grey and dreary.  I feel it should rain torrents today.  I think the whole earth should cry out in grief.  I feel my heart pounding in my head.  My eyes will barely open, and I think no more tears can possibly come.  Maybe I will stand in the rain and borrow the tears from the sky. I look down at sparkly pink toes, and they are lonely.  Makiah, our last Sunday together you spent the morning in bed with Mommy (because I am on bed rest).  We ate fruit loops and snuggled.  We practiced drawing your letters and painted our fingers and toes.  You wanted rainbow toes, but I didn't have the colors with me.  I promised I'd paint you rainbow toes later.  Once we were all pink you said, "I got an idea!  Let's put sparklies over the pink, and you have to do it, too, Mommy, so we can be twins!"  You are such a princess!  So pink toes became sparkly toes.  We giggled and hugged and admired our matching feet. Now mine sit all alone.  Ten toes that should

Wells of Living Water

My eyes filled with tears when my mother-n-law told me of her friend's idea.  This sweet lady, whom I've never met, wanted to know if she could do something special in honor of Makiah.  She said God had put it on her heart to start a well project for her.  She would sell "living water well charms" through Operation Blessing International to raise money to build a well for underprivelaged children in a poverty stricken country.  She said when 600 charms have been purchased, a well with a permanent plaque would be built to commemorate Makiah's life.  Not only was this an amazing idea, it was linked to my daughter's heart in a way that shocked me... What this thoughtful lady could not have known was that only 2 weeks before the accident, Makiah came into the kitchen on a Sunday morning carrying her whole piggy bank.  She told me she wanted to take it all to "give to the kids who need clean water."  The preschool class at church had been raising money